Earlier you have to be either a doctor or an engineer because you had no other alternative. However now with growing economy you can become other than a doctor or an engineer.
In this article we shall talk about your career in hospitality industry.
And Hotel Management could be a great career opportunity if you are an under graduate or a graduate.
As I said hotel management is nothing new over the past 10 years it has become very mainstream.
A lot of students opt for Hotel Management courses once they have completed their 10+2.
There are many reasons for it. Hotel Management is a stable career and you can easily get a job just like an engineer.
Moreover there are hundreds of new colleges mushrooming all over the country which means course fee has really come down.
Therefore it gives an opportunity to others to explore hotel management as a serious career opportunity.
Future of Career in Hotel Management
Before we discuss about eligibility criteria, entrance exams, fee structure, types of courses etc we need to talk about future of hotel management.
What are the job prospects if you get a degree in Hotel Management?
The answer in short is future is great because hospitality industry is growing not just in India but around the world.
Therefore you have a great opportunity to go abroad.
In fact one of my friends was a chef on a cruise liner. He used to travel around the world without spending a dime.
Future is great as far as hotel management is concerned. However you need dedication to succeed.
Different Types of Hotel Management Courses
Now you need to know different types of hotel management courses.
1. Food and Beverage Course: This course is all about learning food and beverage operations. You got to learn various things like how to service customers, kitchen, dining room, staffing, purchasing, inventory etc.
You will also get a real world experience.
2. Managing Customer Relationships: You learn how to manage relations with the entire hospitality industry. You learn things like guest satisfaction, consumer behavior, reward and loyalty program, service and many other things.
3. Hospitality Finance and Accounting Course: As the name suggests it is all about managing finances and accounts. Here you will learn about basics of financial operations involved in a hotel business.
You learn about income statements, balance sheets and cash flow.
4. Hotel Marketing Course: This course is all about branding and marketing. You learn this course so you can generate revenue and brand recognition for the company.
You learn marketing concepts such as segmentation, brand analysis, marketing principles etc.
5. Hospitality and Law Course: Here you will learn about law and other kinds of regulation. You examine all the legal aspects that apply to the hotel industry. You have to be a graduate for this course.
6. Technology for the Hospitality Industry Course: The last important course in our list is technology. You learn about computer system and software that being currently used in the hotel industry.
You learn various aspects of IT that affects the business operations.
So these were few basic courses that you have to learn when you are seeking your career in hotel management.
Eligibility Criteria and Entrance Exam for Hotel Management Courses
Who all can apply for a degree in hotel management?
The eligibility criterion for getting a degree in hotel management course is very simple.
You must have completed 10+2 from a recognized university or board with an aggregate of 45% marks and English is compulsory.
So this was the educational qualification.
How do you get in a college?
Well you have to take an entrance exam conducted by government or the private institution.
The selection of the students is done on the basis of merit.
You get admission according to the rank you secure in the entrance examination.
The process is very fair.
How Much Fee Do You have to Pay?
Now you might be interested how much fees do you have to pay for getting a degree or a bachelorâ€™s program.
If you are going for a private college then your fees could be anywhere between Rs 50,000/- to Rs 100,000/- per annum.
If you opt for a government college the fees could be Rs 40,000/- to Rs 50,000/-.
So you can see the difference between government and private colleges. Fees are half when it comes to government colleges.
Taking Educational Loan and Scholarship Programs
If you feel that you canâ€™t afford the college fee for both private and government then you can go for educational loan.
However you need to qualify for the loan. You must be an Indian with an annual salary for Rs 150,000/- for secured loan and Rs 75,000 for unsecured loan.
You can also look out for scholarship programs. Some colleges are ready to give fee waiver of 10% to even 75%.
You have to find out more.
Some of Great Colleges for Hotel Management Courses
Now you have to know some of the great colleges for getting a degree in hotel management courses across India.
- Indian School of Business Management & Administration, Mumbai
- M. S. Ramaiah University of Applied Sciences (MSRUAS), Bangalore
- Vedatya Institute, Gurgaon
- Empee Institute of Hotel Management and Catering Technology, Arumbakkam, Chennai
- Indian School of Business Management & Administration, Kolkata
- Suryadatta College of Hospitality Management and Travel Tourism (SCHMTT), Bavdhan, Pune
So this was an article about hotel management courses in India. I recommend you to go for a career in hotel management because job prospects are really great and you get to travel all around the world.