Nurses are soft spoken and their profession is to take care of the patients in a hospital or at their nursing home. There is a high demand for trained nurses in different health care sectors.
Their work is to give helping hand to the different types of patients suffering from different illness without hesitating. Indian nurses are noble and caring so there is a lot of demand for Indian nurses in overseas also.
Like other profession, there are different categories in nursing profession too. Most of all nursing colleges offer the diploma courses in nursing. Also there are bachelorâ€™s degree courses (B.Sc Nursing) and masterâ€™s degree courses (M.Sc Nursing).
To get admission in some of the well-known nursing colleges in India you have to give entrance exam. Entrance exam is not compulsory in all nursing colleges. All the colleges have different admission process.
Types of Courses in Nursing Colleges
Diploma in Nursing:- Duration of a Diploma in Nursing is of 3 Years and after that an internship of 6 months. Examination is conducted by Nursing Education Board.
B.Sc Nursing: – To get admission in B.SC nursing you should have good grades in 10+2 exam from a recognized university and a General Nursing and Midwifery (GNM) diploma course. Also the age should not be less than 17 years.
Also in 10+2 exam the subjects should be Chemistry, Physics and Biology. Duration of B.Sc Nursing is of 4 years and after that an internship of 6 months. Examination is conducted by University.
M.Sc Nursing: – After completion of the B.Sc nursing, students can take admission for the M.Sc Nursing. Duration for M.Sc Nursing is of 2 years. Examination is conducted by University.
M.Phil:- Duration for M.Phil is 1 Year Full time and 2 Years for Part time.
Ph.D:- Duration for Ph.d is 3- 5 years.
In M.Sc nursing you can do specialization in below areas-
- Psychiatric Nursing
- Pediatric Nursing
- Nephrological Nursing
- Oncological Nursing
- Critical Care Nursing
- Nephrological Nursing
- Cardiological /CTVS Nursing
Also there are some other courses in midwifery like General Nursing and Midwifery (GNM), Auxilliary Nurse Midwife/ Health Worker (ANM), Master of Public Health (MPH) and Multipurpose Health Workers Training.
After completion of the nursing degrees students can work in different areas like:-
- Ward Sister
- Staff Nurse
- Nursing Superintendent
- Department Supervisor / Assistant Nursing Superintendent
- Director of Nursing
- Teacher of Nursing
- Military Nurse
- Community Health Care
- Industrial Nurse
- ursing Service Administrators
- Deputy Nursing Superintendent
- Nursing Service Overseas
In India there are many nursing colleges but for your convenience we have listed here Top 20 nursing colleges in India.
Top 20 nursing colleges in India
- RAK College of Nursing, Delhi
- Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai: Nursing
- SNDT Faculty of Nursing, Mumbai
- Hinduja Hospital, Mumbai: College of Nursing
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Nursing College
- Manipal University: Manipal College of Nursing
- B.M. Birla College of Nursing, Kolkata
- Sree Ramachandra Medical University, Chennai: College of Nursing
- Apollo College of Nursing, Chennai
- Apollo College of Nursing, Apollo Health City, Hyderabad
- Amrita University: College of Nursing, Cochin
- Government College of Nursing, Kottayam
- Government College of Nursing, Calicut
- Government College of Nursing, Thiruvananthapuram
- CMC Ludiana: College of Nursing
- CMC Vellore College of Nursing
- National Institute of Mental health and Neurosciences, Bangalore: Department of Nursing
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences: Department of Nursing
- Father Muller College of Nursing, Mangalore
- School of Health Sciences: IGNOU
I hope the above information is helpful to all those interested in Nursing Career.