If you are one of those people who can think crystal clear at night and find yourself groggy and half-dozing in the mornings, then we have news to share with you.
Recently, Live Science published an interview with Frederick Brown who is is an associate professor of psychology at Penn State. Brown spends much of his time investigating human circadian rhythms and sleep patterns. He opines that it may be hardwired in the system of some people to function more efficiently while the rest of the world sleeps.
This is an eye opener for anyone who finds it impossible to drag them out of bed each morning and head out for the rat race. Maybe it’s just the way your body is programmed. And you can do nothing to change it.
According to the American Sleep Association, some of these people may have a condition called delayed sleep phase syndrome (DSPS) which makes them late sleepers. Such people may eventually be able to adjust to a conventional 9-5 work schedule but the chances are high that they may not be able to perform at their best.
Be it thinking clearly, remembering things or making decisions, night owls struggle with these tasks during a day job.
The good news is that with some effort, you can land yourself higher paying night jobs that are perfect for anyone who likes to stay awake till the wee hours.
What are night jobs?
The world may call them graveyard shifts or night shifts but if you are naturally inclined to stay awake and perform better in those hours, then why not put it to use?
Night jobs can either be temporary or permanent depending on what kind of job you are able to land. And contrary to popular notion, these are not low paying jobs either. We regularly help people find night jobs that equal the pay offered by day jobs and in some cases, even exceed it.
Here’s our pick of the best night jobs for the nocturnal ones.
- Freelance writing: Freelance writing is one of the most in-demand jobs in the current era and there is a surging demand for freelance writers who can spin a yarn with words. Research reveals that night owls may be more creatively inclined than normal people which makes freelance writing one of the best night jobs. You can command as much as $20-$30 an hour and you can write when your mind is functioning at its best.
- Casino Dealers: Have a way with cards? How about dealing Blackjack for a profession? Casino Dealers often work late nights and apart from a decent paycheck, pooled tips add up to a good amount each month. It is estimated that dealers working in night shifts average at least $20-25 a month.
- Bartenders: Bartending is one of the most popular night jobs that does not even require a college degree. There are many dive bars, clubs, cocktail lounges and beer pubs who look for skilled bartenders who have a way with pouring the spirits. The job is fun, vibrant and social and you are only limited by your creativity and your artistry. The best part is that if you have a basic understanding, then there are courses where you can increase your knowledge and hone your skills with the bottles. Some of the most recommended ones are the course from Beverage Alcohol Resource and an online one from BarSmarts.
- Security Guards: A security guard is a very respected position that is perfect for night owls. With an increase in the number of ATMs and shopping malls that stay open round the clock, there is an increase in demand for night time guards. Apart from being a relaxing job that lets you work in cooler work hours, it also gives you ample time to write or just surf the internet. The only caveat is that night security guards usually earn much lesser as compared to other type of night jobs.
- Clerical Jobs: Some people find it strange that clerical jobs are available with night shifts. But a lot of organizations have clerical vacancies with graveyard shifts. Once again, the downside is the pay which is lesser than what you would earn as a creative writer or a bartender.
- Health Aides: If you have prior experience in nursing or you are an LPN, then you can work as health aides in homes as well as assisted living facilities. The job profile will be helping the residents lead a normal life and assist them with everyday activities. Medical care is rarely expected of a health aide.
- Drivers: The popularity of services like Uber has made it possible to earn a good amount of money working as drivers in night jobs. Apart from earning higher rates than what you would earn driving during the day, Uber also pays extra perks for night hour drives.
- Radio Jockey: Working as a radio jockey beats clerical jobs any day or should we say any night? Radio jockeys work shifts and you can permanently select graveyard shifts too if you land the job. You need to have a good ear for music, must be able to talk to people spontaneously and have a knack to connect with your audience.
- Call Center: Call center executives have both day as well as night shifts. If you are based in India, Philippines or other Asian countries with off shore service centers, then you can work according to US or UK based timings which will be night hours in these parts.
- Tutors: Many popular online tutoring websites allow you to pick your work hours and tutor people in a subject of your expertise. The best part with a tutor job is that you can pick from a whole range of subjects including general ones like music, math, science, history or advanced ones like accounting and even skills like calligraphy and knitting.
Always do your research and ensure that you pick night jobs that you are comfortable with.